Thursday, July 26, 2012

Front door wreath

For awhile now I've wanted to personalize our front door with a wreath. This, of course, is not a novel idea. Lots of people do this, but I still wanted to dress it up in my own unique way. I've been perusing thrift stores lately and happened to find this diaper wreath:
Baby #3 is a boy, so this would work nicely on the hospital door or nursery door when we bring him home, but a diaper wreath is much more fun for showers. I like the colors and the wreath was already wrapped in blue ribbon (under the diapers)- I knew I could re-use the other ribbons. This cost $6.88. I also wanted to personalize the wreath with our last name initial, so I grabbed a letter from Hobby Lobby:
The letter was $1.99 but I used a HL gift card I received for my birthday (I purchased other items as well) so for me it was technically free! I painted and dressed it up with a little ribbon I have on hand then got to work on the the wreath construction.
First, I removed the diapers from the wreath then took off the ribbons from the diapers and managed to keep both the diapers (can use those for baby!) and the wreath in tact. There were, however, lots of glue marks on the wreath itself, so I flipped it over and used the back side. I knew the ribbon end needed to be covered, so I decided to make flowers out of the ribbon wrapped around the diapers. Each piece was short so I just winged it and started looping the ribbon together. I don't know if people make flowers this way, but I like how it looks and serves my purpose.
I used the same ribbon I wrapped around the B to cover the middle and added a scrapbook embellishment on top of that to finish it off. Again, items I have on hand. I made two of these and three rosettes, then attached everything to the wreath. I think the large ribbon bow gives a nice touch and anchors the wreath. Here's how it looks on my front door:
I definitely could've re-purposed this for a baby decoration, since blue & brown are such good baby boy colors, but I love how this turned out. And the best part: the project cost $8.87!! You can't get much better than that and there's no way I could buy a wreath, four different types of ribbon and diapers to boot for less than $9. I am quickly becoming a fan of thrift stores!! Good luck making your own inexpensive wreath!

No comments:

Post a Comment