Thursday, July 26, 2012

Front door wreath

For awhile now I've wanted to personalize our front door with a wreath. This, of course, is not a novel idea. Lots of people do this, but I still wanted to dress it up in my own unique way. I've been perusing thrift stores lately and happened to find this diaper wreath:
Baby #3 is a boy, so this would work nicely on the hospital door or nursery door when we bring him home, but a diaper wreath is much more fun for showers. I like the colors and the wreath was already wrapped in blue ribbon (under the diapers)- I knew I could re-use the other ribbons. This cost $6.88. I also wanted to personalize the wreath with our last name initial, so I grabbed a letter from Hobby Lobby:
The letter was $1.99 but I used a HL gift card I received for my birthday (I purchased other items as well) so for me it was technically free! I painted and dressed it up with a little ribbon I have on hand then got to work on the the wreath construction.
First, I removed the diapers from the wreath then took off the ribbons from the diapers and managed to keep both the diapers (can use those for baby!) and the wreath in tact. There were, however, lots of glue marks on the wreath itself, so I flipped it over and used the back side. I knew the ribbon end needed to be covered, so I decided to make flowers out of the ribbon wrapped around the diapers. Each piece was short so I just winged it and started looping the ribbon together. I don't know if people make flowers this way, but I like how it looks and serves my purpose.
I used the same ribbon I wrapped around the B to cover the middle and added a scrapbook embellishment on top of that to finish it off. Again, items I have on hand. I made two of these and three rosettes, then attached everything to the wreath. I think the large ribbon bow gives a nice touch and anchors the wreath. Here's how it looks on my front door:
I definitely could've re-purposed this for a baby decoration, since blue & brown are such good baby boy colors, but I love how this turned out. And the best part: the project cost $8.87!! You can't get much better than that and there's no way I could buy a wreath, four different types of ribbon and diapers to boot for less than $9. I am quickly becoming a fan of thrift stores!! Good luck making your own inexpensive wreath!


I've had this tote bag tutorial in my possession for awhile, waiting for a good time to use it. From Little Lizard King, this tutorial is super easy and cute! A good time came earlier this year when I made a bag for my mom's birthday or mother's day, I can't recall which (they're pretty close together). I didn't follow her measurements exactly, instead I bought a yard of fabric and eyeballed how large I wanted it.
I found the fabric and straps at JoAnn's (during a 40% off sale, yay!) and bought some for myself in case I liked enough to make my own. And I did! I love how they both turned out and mine came in handy for our beach trip last month. Since vinyl is sewn in, they're easy to clean as well. I know it's late in the year to start a beach bag of your own, but it would make a great overnight bag as well.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Homemade Sugar Scrub

My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer earlier this year. After two surgeries and radiation, she told me she was having a post-cancer/radiation party. I thought she was being metaphorical at first, but she said she was serious. The party was scheduled a few weeks ago and actually turned out to be a surprise 30th birthday party for me! Since I didn't know the party was for me, I had gifts prepared. I thought for an occasion such as this, homemade gifts would be welcome. I embroidered and sewed a little canvas bag- about the size for books- with the breast cancer logo and her name. I finished this particular gift at the very last minute (day we were leaving town for the party) so in my hurry forgot to take pictures! Next time I see her, I'll have to get some pics. I've wanted to make sugar scrub for awhile and thought this was the perfect opportunity to give it a go. I had an idea what ingredients were needed but not the measurements, so I went to the internet and found a great recipe here. I made some labels, dolled it up with a tulle ribbon and wah-la:
I cut her recipe in half and it fit perfectly in this jar, my mom says she loves it!